Since February is "I Love to Read Month", I was asked by the grade 4 teacher at my school to come and be a guest reader to her kids this week for about a half an hour at any time in the day and to come prepared with books. I felt honoured, and of course said yes (it helps that she's a close friend of the family and has kind of taken me under her wing... :)). Of course, being me, I waited until tonight at about 10 to go searching through my basement of piled up junk for all my and my brother's childhood books. *facepalm*.
Needless to say, I found the several Rubbermaid totes of books and keepsakes and sat, for 40 minutes looking through the pages of my childhood loving every second of it. Robert Munsch, Disney, Berenstein Bears, E.B. White (Stuart Little and The Trumpet of the Swan), The Boxcar Children, Goodnight Moon....oh man. Every single time I thanked God that I was such a stubborn child and would throw a screaming fit if my mom even suggested that we perhaps give away or get rid of some of my books...I'm almost counting down until I can set up these books in my own future classroom and have my own classroom library. Nerdy and cheesy, I know. But when I saw that cardboard boxcar book caddy...wow. That was when I squealed. I kid not. I can't wait to have that thing set up again for my set of Boxcar children books....yay for Scholastic specials when you're seven years old. Does anyone remember those book series they used to do on the back pages? You could become part of a club and get a whole bunch of cute little additives, along with a book or two every month and your parents paid like 30$ a year. I was part of said club for the Boxcar children for ohhh...at least 4 years. There were monthly newsletters that had puzzles, recipes, "updates" on the children...all sorts of things. Coolest. Thing. Ever.
Geez I miss those times...
2 comments:
Oh, how i wish i kept all my childhood books. I was a slob as a kid. Cute post. ;D
Thanks :) And I was the cleanest kid you ever met. Haha everything had a place and every place had a thing.
Post a Comment